Web technology is a term used to describe multimedia packs which can be used in conjunction to create websites. Each technology is limited on its own and requires the use of other such technologies. We can conclude that all of the components that create a website are interdependent on one another.
Web technology can be intimidating and a bit complex, but hopefully our guide will make things easier for you.
Introduction to Web Hosting and Web Servers
Web hosting are services that allow businesses and individuals to put a web page on the internet. Web hosting companies have computers called servers that aren’t dissimilar to the computers you are already familiar with.
There are a few different types of web hosting services, for example, services that include domain name registration, website security services, website builders, and more.
The web server is a computer that stores web resources. The servers receive requests from browsers for a website, images, etc. When you visit a website, the browser requests all the files needed to render that website in the browser.
Different factors impact how quickly the website will render. The size of the file and the speed of the server are the two most important factors.
You may encounter three server types:
- ILS or Internet Information Services is a software made by Microsoft.
- Apache is open-source software and is compatible with various operating systems including Linux.
- NGINX or Engine X is a high-performance server and can handle load balancing.
HTML: Any Website’s Foundation
HTML stands for Hyper Text Mark-up Language and is the glue that holds websites together. When building a website, HTML is the base, the main foundation. It is an open-source speech and is not difficult to understand.
DHTML or Dynamic HTML provides shifting, lively or moving content to HTML pages. Although DHTML is not a programming language it is a variant of HTML.
- CSS: CSS stands for Cascading Style Sheets and it is a new language created to extend the personality features of HTML. It is relatively simple to understand and use. In fact, SCC is a great approach to edit your website’s type such as text styles, color, font, dimensions, etc. CSS might be put within HTML pages. The advantage of getting design properties for your website in CSS documents is you might modify the file to impact positive changes on your website. It is the best web technology.
- DOM: DOM or Document Object Model allows programmers to get elements within HTML pages, for example, table, image, layer, etc. Each component could be assigned an identification title. Each browser gets its DOM and is used to ascertain which browser the visitor is using.
The Basics of AJAX and XML
XML stands for Extensible Markup Language and is similar to HTML using elements, tags, and attributes and is created to store and transport data. HTML is used to only display data.
Perl and CGI or The Backend
CGI or Common Gateway Interface shapes the operational elements or elements you can’t see such as internet statistics tools, type chips, form processors, etc. There are different languages that may be CGI termed but the most popular is Perl. It is the language of choice for adding extra function to your website. HTML and DHTML are good for controlling the presentation of your website, however, Perl is necessary to run the mechanics or behind-the-scenes.
Perl is referred to as back-end web technology. In other words, it operates the servers that host your website.
If you are looking to gain a basic understanding of web technology, this guide is perfect for you. Web design is a complicated area and requires a study on your behalf. You can check the other articles on the website and continue your studies.